Are you an individual interested in learning to drive a forklift or are you an employer seeking certification for employees? Whoever you are, you might be wondering, how much does it cost to earn a forklift license?
Now that the year 2022 has arrived, the cost is somewhere in the ballpark figure of $60 to $200 per student depending on the type of forklift you want to get trained on and the method of training (online, in-person or company-sponsored) (as there are many types of them – counterbalance, order picker, rough terrain, pallet jacks, etc.). This does not include training materials and supplies. If you are in a group, you can negotiate for a discount.
Some courses cost more than others depending on the standard of the school and modernity of the training facility and equipment the school provides.
And it doesn’t take much to complete a training program. The training is a straightforward process, it could be completed in as little as a day. If you are a total beginner, you can get certified in two days.
A longer program offering training on several types of forklifts is much more beneficial if you are an individual looking for employment.
Online Forklift Certification Course for Individuals and Employers
Online forklift certification is a practical solution for both employers who want to get their workers trained fast and individual operators looking to get certified. It offers a lot of benefits such as convenience and quick process. If you are looking for a training provider, you can find an online provider that offers such a course. Here are your choices:
- If you are an individual who wants to get certified in no time, this online forklift certification training meets the OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178, ANSI B56.1.
- Save time and money and avoid the hassle of sending the workers to school. If you are an employer who needs to train operators, this online certification course has been designed to meet the same standards and laws mentioned above.
Those online training courses can be completed at your own pace using your laptop or mobile device in the convenience of your home. It is faster and more convenient than the traditional means of training.
Certificates and other credentials will be given upon the successful completion of the course.
Three Options for Taking Forklift Certification
As a Walk-In Student
If you are an individual searching for a job, you can receive the training by enrolling in a course offered by a training school near you. For your convenience, here, on this website, we’ve provided the directory of schools where you can take the program.
Just choose the location where you are situated, there you will find the directory.
The certification the school issues is recognized across all states, you do not have to take another training program when you moved to another state to work as a forklift operator.
Certification can also be earned through employer sponsorship. OSHA specifies that it is the responsibility of the company to provide the training. Such training must be conducted by a qualified trainer.
The trainer must be someone with sufficient skills and experience on the subject. Typically, he is someone who had completed a train-the-trainer program and gained authority from the organization.
The employer can choose someone to become a trainer from its fleet of forklift operators. To conduct it, training materials are needed, here is an FLC OSHA-compliant Training Kit that can be purchased from Amazon:
By having an in-house trainer, the company can adhere to current regulations and can become compliant at any time when the OSHA inspector visits the workplace. Having an in-house trainer can save time and money as well.
Free Forklift Training
The third option for an individual can benefit from is the free forklift training. Although this is fairly uncommon but there are some community colleges that provide this training. Check with the nearest community college in your area if there is an upcoming schedule for such training.
Companies That Offer Comprehensive Forklift Training
Online Forklift Operator Certification: $59
Online Forklift Operator Certification – SPANISH: $59
Online HAZCOM Certification Training: $29
The trainng is %100 online, making it convenient and easy for you. Take the Course Here
- CertifyMe– PO Box 16205 Phx, AZ 85011. Also severs many other states.
For warehouse forklifts (classes 1, 4 and 5) costs $59.95 which is available in English and Spanish.
For pallet jacks and order pickers (classes 2 and 3) also cost $59.95 which is also can be provided in both languages.
For Rough Terrain Forklift (class 7) also costs $59.95.
For Qualified Trainer/Evaluator Certification, this company charges $149.00 for each trainee.
- Suncoast Safety Council – Clearwater and St. Petersburg Offices, 727.373.SAFE (7233)
This company provides 8-hour forklift training on propane-type forklift covering classroom and actual forklift driving and charges $125.00 for member and $150.00 for non-member.
- McFather Technical College – Florida, (754) 321-5753
This training provider only accepts students with prior knowledge and experience driving forklifts. The cost of the tuition and fees is $44.00 per student residing in Florida. For non-resident, please inquire at the phone number provided.
- Goodwill of North Georgia - 235 Peachtree Street NE, North Tower, Suite 2300, Atlanta, (404-420-9900)
The forklift training this company provides lasts 2 to 4 weeks that covers comprehensive certification on stand-up reach, pallet jack, counter balance, order picker types of forklift trucks. The program curriculum also includes OSHA General Industry Standards and First Aid Training. What’s best about this company is they provide job assistance upon training completion. You may contact them at the phone and inquire how much does the training cost.
- AAA ForkLift Inc. – 1271 Columbia Ave F6, Riverside, CA, (951) 200-4272
The training they provide ranges from 1 hour to 3 weeks depending on the qualifications of the students and the training cost around $15-$200.
- AllState Training – 249 Pearl Street, Seymour, CT, 800-246-9567
This company has three-training packages: the Three-Day, Five-Day and Seven-Day Packages. The Three-Day package covers certification on sit-down propane, sit-down electric and electric pallet jack types of trucks. The Five-Day covers the three type plus the Raymond stand-up Narrow Aisle Picker with Reach is included. While the Seven-Day Package includes the three types initially mentioned plus the Stand-up Electric Forklift and Order Picker.
If you are an employer wanting to get the training to be done on-site, here are the training providers you can contact:
- Atlas Forklift Training– 464 S. Pershing Ave., San Bernardino, CA, (909) 888-4088
If you want to take training on 2 or more machines the cost is $30 per student, for 5 or more machines the cost is $20 and sit down forklift the cost $35.
I do advise you that prices of forklift training that these companies provide could change, as of this writing, these are their current rates.
Before you go on, I would like to invite you to READ these important articles related to getting certification:
- How Long is the Training to Complete?
- Is Online Training Suits You?
- When Do You Need Forklift Retraining/Refresher Course?
- What Are Your Work Responsibilities and Description?
- How to Become Fully Certified to Operate the Truck?
- Where Can You Take the Forklift Training?
- Salary of Forklift Operator by State and City
- What are the Requirements Before Taking the Training?
If you are a company and looking for ways to get your operators certified, here are the topics you need to know, READ these:
- How to Provide Cost-Effective Training to Save Money?
- It is Your Obligation to Provide Training for Your Workers
- How are Operators Being Trained to be OSHA Certified?
- Workers are Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
Grab These Special Deals on Personal Protective Equipment
Cost of the Training from Private Companies and Community Colleges
The prices and schedules that these schools offer may change from time to time. I strongly suggest to make an inquiry with them about your requirement. We have indicated the contact number, email address and website of each company so you can easily communicate to them.
- A-1 Forklift Certification
$39 for one year and $49 for three years (online)
Standard $110/Premium $149; Recertification: $75 (hands-on)
Special group prices, all inclusive. Get a price, call Donna at 1-877-922-5438.
10820 Beverly Blvd Whittier, CA
phone: (877) 922-5438
- Atlanta Technical College
1560 Metropolitan Parkway SW, Atlanta
$238.00 – in person two-day course every Fri and Sat only
- Atlas Forklift Training
464 S. Pershing Ave., San Bernardino, California
Phone: (909) 888-4088
$35.00 – Daily schedule is available
- Cuyahoga Community College
$200 – one-day training, max of 4 trainees per schedule
- Forklift Academy
5737 Kanan Rd, Suite 508
Agoura Hills CA 91301
$49.50 - one-day and runs six hours, provides a complete package
Tip: Do not enroll in a school that promises you to become certified in just an hour or two. The promise is flawed. Register in a course that addresses these three vital elements: classroom discussion, practical test, and evaluation.
Which One to Choose: Online vs In-person Training
Cost of In-Person Operator Training
In-person forklift operator training typically involves attending a training course at a physical location, such as a training center or a workplace. The cost of in-person training can vary depending on several factors, such as the location of the training center, the duration of the training program, and the experience level of the instructor.
On average, in-person forklift operator training can cost between $200 to $500 per person, and this cost may or may not include the cost of the certification exam. In addition, there may be additional costs for materials, equipment usage, and any travel or lodging expenses associated with attending the training.
Cost of Online Operator Training
Online forklift operator training is a convenient and cost-effective alternative to in-person training. With online training, individuals can complete the course at their own pace and on their own schedule, eliminating the need for travel and lodging expenses.
The cost of online forklift operator training varies depending on the training provider, the level of the course, and the type of training offered. On average, online forklift operator training can cost between $50 to $300 per person. The cost of online training typically includes access to the course materials, certification exam fees, and online support.
Several factors can impact the cost of forklift operator training, regardless of whether it is in-person or online. These factors include:
- Type of training required (beginner vs advanced)
- Duration of the training program
- Location of the training facility or online program
- Availability of equipment and materials for hands-on training
Pros and Cons of In-Person vs Online Forklift Operator Training
In-person training provides hands-on experience with the forklift equipment, allowing operators to gain practical skills and experience. On the other hand, online training offers more flexibility and convenience, allowing individuals to complete the course at their own pace and on their own schedule.
When it comes to cost, online training is typically more affordable than in-person training. However, the effectiveness of online training can vary depending on the quality of the course materials and the level of support provided.
Other Factors on How Much You're Going to Pay
The cost of forklift license training can vary based on several factors. Employers and individuals should consider these factors when selecting a training program that meets their needs.
- Type of forklift being operated: The type of forklift being operated can impact the cost of training. Some forklifts are more complex and require more specialized training than others, which can increase the cost of training. For example, training for a rough terrain forklift may be more expensive than training for a standard forklift.
- Level of training required: The level of training required for a forklift license can also impact the cost. Beginner-level training programs may be less expensive than advanced-level programs, which may require more extensive training and certification.
- Location of the training facility: The location of the training facility can also impact the cost of forklift license training. Training facilities in urban areas or large cities may have higher costs due to the higher cost of living and overhead expenses.
- Duration of the training program: The duration of the training program can impact the cost of forklift license training. Longer training programs may be more expensive due to the increased time commitment required from the instructor and the trainee.
It is important to note that the cost of forklift license training should not be the only factor considered when selecting a training program. The quality of the training program, the experience level of the instructors, and the safety record of the training facility should also be considered to ensure that trainees receive high-quality training that will prepare them for safe and efficient operation of forklifts in the workplace.
Price of Forklift License is Just a Small Investment
We do know for a fact that spending an amount to get a forklift license is hard especially if you don't have a job yet. Many individuals don't realize the value of having such license. The certificate does make difference. Obviously, employers prefer to hire those candidates with readied forklift license than those without as they do not have to pay to train them.