Employers in the state of South Carolina follow the OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178 for implementation of forklift safety policy. The boom of industries and increase of manufacturing in the state convey a message to you who are seeking employment as a forklift operator. There will be no shortage of this skill in the coming years.
It is prerogative to every individual intending to work in this field to have forklift training. Employers require you to be certified before you can be offered a job. Forklift training is provided to all workers to make sure you have the qualities and knowledge to operate heavy industrial machinery.
If you are new to this career or if you’re an experienced forklift driver but don’t know how to get certification, this is the best resource you can find to get your certification in no time.
How to Take Forklift Training
- In order to make your training suitable to you, you need to assess what forklift truck/s you will be operating because OSHA, the leading authority, stipulates that training should be exact to the type of forklift truck an operator is using. Forklift trucks vary in terms of specifications, mechanical components, fuel types, driving means, and many others.
- Only certified trainer can conduct the training. Thus, you need to enroll in a training course, the list of forklift training schools near your location in South Carolina are provided below. Pick one and inquire about their schedule of availability of forklift training course. I strongly suggest to you not to enroll for an online course, you won’t be acquiring enough skills you need by having a course online.
- Once enrolled, the forklift training course usually lasts for 2 days that tackle the classroom lecture and actual forklift driving. During the classroom lessons, students will be teaching about OSHA regulations, basic operation controls, pre and post operation activities, pedestrian traffic basics, safety load handling and truck driving, load computation, basic machine troubleshooting, forklift truck limitations, specifications, hazardous material loading/unloading, and many other topics.
- After the classroom lectures, students will be given the test. The students are required to pass with 80% correct answers in order to become eligible. Once, you successfully passed it, you will then proceed to the practical training.
- At the second day of the course, students must drive the forklift truck. This is actual operation. The trainer will be giving the students sets of tasks to accomplish. These are: machine starting up, safe maneuvering (without load), planning of work prior to commencement, lifting of pallets and materials, lifting of loads at maximum height limitation, moving of heavy loads from place to another, driving around in the workplace under different road conditions, refueling, recharging (if electric forklift truck is in use), proper parking and placement of the truck.
- Once your trainer is pleased with your written test grade and actual driving performance, he shall make the recommendation.
- The school will print out your certification confirming that you’ve successfully completed forklift training with them.
- The certification is only valid for three years which is recognized anywhere in the country. The re-certification, whether you’ve used the certification or not, is every three years.
More importantly, if you currently employed, it is the responsibility of the employer/company to provide the adequate training to all of its fleet and workers.
The employer can hire a certified trainer to conduct the training at the workplace. This is the most appropriate way to provide forklift training because the trainer can customize the training based on actual work condition of the workplace and types of trucks being used by the operators.
The other mean to provide training for workers is to send them in bulk to training schools. This may impede product delivery and halt operation.
If you are an operator, you can READ these topics:
- How to Get Certified to Operate Forklifts
- Where Can You Go To Get Forklift License
- What are the Requirements You Need For Taking the Training
- How Much Money Does It Cost You to Get Trained
- How Long Does the Training Course Last
- Another Option for You: Online Training Course - Is It Suitable for You
If you are an employer who is seeking to get forklift training for the workers, READ these subjects:
- How to Save Money by Appoint your Supervisor to Conduct the Training
- It is Your Obligation as Employer to Train the Operators
- What Should the Training Be Composed of to Comply with OSHA
- The worker is Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
- How to Renew Forklift License for Your Workers
Forklift Training Schools in SC
- Carolina Industrial Trucks - 1621 Poplar Drive Ext. Greer, SC 29651, PHONE:(864) 676-2880, Fax:(864) 676-2895
- Crown Lift Trucks - 151 Greenlawn Drive, Columbia, SC 29209, Fax: 803-783-1659
- LiftOne - 1520 Pineview Rd., Columbia, SC 29209, (803) 783-2888
- G&W Equipment, Inc. - 425 Independence Blvd., Greenville, SC 29615, 864-297-1330
- Southeast Industrial Equipment Inc. - 1800 North Cashua Dr., Florence, SC 29501, T: (843) 629-0029, F: (843) 629-0560
- Gregory Poole Lift Systems - 1002 Bankton Circle, Hanahan, South Carolina 29410, 1-800-447-3125
- Tri-Lift NC, Inc. - 2905 Manufacturers Road, Greensboro NC 27406, PHONE (336) 691-1511
- Material Handling Solutions, Inc. - 7030 Maybank Highway, Wadmalaw Island, SC 29487
- Forklifts, Inc. - 7406 Fairfield Road, Columbia, SC 29203
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce - (803) 799-4601, 1301 Gervais St., Suite 1100 Columbia, SC 29201
- Forklifts Unlimited & Services Inc. - 2211 Old York Rd York, SC.29745, Phone: (803)684-0440, Fax: (803)684-1489
- Palmetto Training, Inc. - 1085 Thunderbolt Dr, Walterboro, SC 29488, (843) 538-2090
- Goodwill - 115 Haywood Road, Greenville, SC 29607, 864.351.0100
- Carolina Forklift Training and Supply - 338 Hidden Lake Drive, York, (704) 621-0277
- Raymond Carolina Handling - 1104 Piedmont Hwy, Piedmont, SC 29673, +1 864-269-6360
- Piedmont Technical College - 620 N. Emerald Rd., Greenwood, 1.800.868.5528
- Spartanburg Community College - PO Box 4386, Spartanburg, (864) 592-4900
- Trident Technical College - PO Box 118067 CE-M, Charleston, 843.574.6152
- Central Carolina Technical College - 506 N. Guignard Drive, Sumter, SC 29150, (803) 778-1961
- York Technical College - 452 S Anderson Rd Rock Hill, SC 29730, (803) 327-8000 (800) 922-TECH
- Midlands Technical College - P.O. Box 2408, Columbia, SC 29202, 800.922.8038
- Greenville Technical College - P.O. Box 5616, Greenville, SC 29606, (864) 250-8000
- Tri-County Technical College - Pendleton, SC 29670, 864-646-TCTC (8282), 1-866-269-5677
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College - 3250 St. Matthews Road, Orangeburg, SC 29118, 803.536.0311, 800.813.6519
- Clemson University Facilities - 310 Klugh Ave, Clemson, South Carolina 29634, (864) 656-2186
Read this if you are planning to get training from the training school:
What Requirements to Take Forklift Training
- Training schools and trainers require that every student can communicate well in English. So that students can participate well and understand the lectures and instructions.
- The student must be a high-school graduate or in possession of GED certificate.
- Can communicate well with others. This is important because driving forklift needs accurate communication and coordination with others at the workplace.
- Students are required to be medically fit and with strong stamina. The actual nature of the job is physically challenging and exhausting especially when production is on full blast.
- Must abide by the wearing of personal protective equipment and with other safety rules and regulations.
Forklift Operator salary for South Carolina
According to the latest March 26, 2020 report of Salary.com, in South Carolina, a trained forklift operator can receive a salary of $34,823 on average per year. In North Carolina, it is a little higher.
However, there’s a disparity of salary in different towns of South Carolina. Some towns offer more while others are slightly lower.
Here are the cities of towns of SC that provide the high wage for forklift drivers:
|$36,038 - Abbeville||$36,586 - Lando|
|$35,895 - Anderson||$36,447 - Lancaster|
|$35,617 - Belton||$36,038 - Long Creek|
|$35,829 - Blackstock||$36,298 - Mauldin|
|$35,766 - Blacksburg||$36,246 - Marietta|
|$36,476 - Bowling Green||$36,586 - Mc Connells|
|$35,124 - Buffalo||$36,124 - Norris|
|$36,620 - Catawba||$36,285 - Pageland|
|$36,464 - Chester||$36,534 - Richburg|
|$36,038 - Clemson||$36,620 - Rock Hill|
|$36,494 - Clover||$36,481 - Sharon|
|$36,620 - Edgemoor||$36,320 - Smyrna|
|$36,499 - Fort Lawn||$36,320 - Van Wyck|
|$36,298 - Greenville||$36,176 - Williamston|
|$36,089 - Heath Springs|
This report is based on a June 27, 2019 survey of Salary.com.
To know how much you can receive if you will be working in another state, BROWSE through this:
For more information and issues about forklift licensing and certification in South Carolina, you can refer to these resources:
OSHA South Carolina
Koger Office Park, Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Drive
P.O. Box 11329
Columbia, South Carolina 29210-1329
(803) 896-7670 FAX
S.C. Department of Labor
Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
Cities and Town of SC
Columbia, Charleston,North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Rock Hill, Greenville, Summerville, Sumter, Hilton Head Island, Florence, Spartanburg, Goose Creek, Aiken, Myrtle Beach, Anderson, Greer, Greenwood, Mauldin, North Augusta, Easley, Simpsonville, Hanahan, Lexington, Conway, West Columbia, Orangeburg, Clemson, North Myrtle Beach, Bluffton, Cayce, Gaffney, Beaufort, Irmo, Fort Mill, Port Royal, Forest Acres, Newberry, George, Laurens, Bennettsville, Lancaster, Clinton, Union, Seneca, Moncks Corner, Fountain Inn, Hartsville, York, Tega Cay, Marion, Camden, Dillon, Lake, Darlington, Cheraw, Chester, Walterboro, Batesburg-Leesville, Abbeville, Central, Clover, Barnwell, Edgefield, Hollywood, Mullins, Travelers Rest, Walhalla, Belton, Isle of Palms, Manning, Woodruff, Ridgeland, Williamston, Surfside Beach, Bamberg, Honea Path, Saluda, Winnsboro, Denmark, Allendale, Bishopville, Kingstree, Liberty, Lyman, Duncan, Williston, Pickens