If you want to become a forklift operator in the state of Missouri, the very first step to take is to undertake forklift training, without it you are not allowed to drive the forklift even you’re experienced using it.
OSHA requires that employers should train their operators specific to the type of machine that each worker is operating and training must be conducted by an approved professional.
When OSHA inspectors found out that employers are letting their workers driving forklifts without proper forklift training, they could be fined and face charges if such accident will happen.
Getting Hold of Forklift Training
For an unemployed individual:
- Choose what forklift training program you want. You must remember that training you must take is specific to the type of truck you will be operating. Ask the school if they can provide the training you required.
- 2Enroll for a training course. We’ve prepared schools in Missouri that provide training, see below. The training usually costs at $100 - $200 and lasts for two days. You must not take a training course online, you cannot be certified by training provider through this mean. You must take the training in person.
- There will be three parts to complete: the first is the classroom discussions where you will learn basic forklift controls, OSHA regulations, safe use of the machines, basic operational guidelines, safety awareness, load calculation, maneuvering strategies, workplace hazard analysis, calculated risk-taking, and video presentations.
The practical or the actual operation follows. In this part, you will be operating the actual machine in workplace simulate environment. Your duty is to finish sets of tasks the trainer will command you to do. These tasks are the lectures you’ve learned from the classroom discussion.
The last part of the course is the written examination and trainer assessment. You must pass the required percentage of correct answers and be evaluated satisfactorily by the trainer in order to get certified.
- If completed, the trainer will give you the certificate of completion and training license card. Bring those with you when seeking for a job as a forklift operator.
For employed operator:
You can take your much need certification through your in-house trainer. The employer must designate a competent instructor (those who had OSHA Trainer-the-Trainer certificate) to carry out the forklift training to all operator needing it. As per OSHA rule, the employer is responsible for you.
In such instances where the employer is unequipped with training facilities and no instructor on-site, the school can be hired to provide training either at the school premise or in a location identical to a workplace.
The employer can hire an OSHA-approved professional to come on-site. This method is the most ideal because the trainer can tailor a program based on the types of machines and workplace condition.
I would like you to READ these topics about forklift certification:
- Forklift Operator Schools - Where Can You Get Trained?
- Online Training: Will This Suits Your Need?
- Is it The Employer's Responsibility to Get You Trained Driving Forklifts?
- When You Can You Take Retraining?
- What To Do If You Lost Your Forklift License?
- Can You Use Your Forklift License to Work in Other State?
- Can You Use Your Forklift License to Work in Other Company?
- Can You Get a Forklift Job If You Have DUI?
Forklift Training Schools in Missouri
- Raymond Heubel Shaw - 6311 NE Equitable Road, Kansas City, MO 64120, 1- 800-283-4177
- Shoppa's Material Handling - 1301 N Corrington Ave, Kansas City, MO 64120, Local: 816.421.3352, Toll Free: 800.456.1544
- Vatterott Educational Center, Inc. - 3850 S Campbell Ave, Springfield, MO 65807, Call Now: 417-831-8116
- MH Equipment - 3440 Willow Drive, Scott City, Missouri 63780
- A D Lift Truck - St. Louis: 314-389-1700, St. Clair: 636-629-2700
- Lift Truck Center, Inc. - 4750 E Parallel Lane, Springfield MO 65803, P:+1 417-879-7900
- C & B Lift Truck Service, Inc. - 6250 Knox Industrial Drive, Saint Louis, Missouri 63139, 314-781-LIFT (5438)
- Warehouseman Training Inc. - 3150 Mercier St. Suite 534, Kansas City Missouri, 64111; 816-216-6075
- Forklifts of Central Missouri - 4502 Country Club Drive, Jefferson City, MO, 65109, Phone: 800.392-0651
- Wiese USA - 1435 Woodson Road, St Louis, MO, P:(314) 997-4444
- Forklifts of St. Louis - 4720 LaGuardia Drive, St. Louis, MO 63134, Tel: +1 314-426-4040
- Forklifts of Cape, Inc. - 4430 Nash Rd, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701. Telephone Phone: 800.455-2244
- Connell Company - 5930 North Hanley, St. Louis, MO 63136, 888.522.6099
- Crown Lift Trucks - 2637 E. Jean Street, Springfield, MO 65803, Fax: 417-862-4922
- Riekes Equipment Co. - North Kansas City: 816.221.7335, Holden: 816.221.7335, Higginsville: 816.221.7335, Hardin, MO816.221.7335, Browning: 816.221.7335
- University of Missouri - Columbia, MO 65211, Tel:573-882-2121
- Safety Council of Greater St. Louis - 2330 Hampton Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63139, 314-621-9200
- St. Joseph Safety & Health Council - St. Joseph Training: St. Joseph Safety Council, 3131 Frederick Ave., (816)233-3330
If You have no idea how to choose the forklift training school where you can enroll for a course, follow this article:
The advantage of Having a Forklift Certification
- Being trained means you are qualified to perform work safely, not endangering yourself or other people around.
- It opens employment opportunities. Trained individuals are more likely offered a job than those who are not. So before you venture out to this career, you must take hold of your license first and foremost.
- Certified forklift operators rarely involved in accidents, near misses, and property damage incident thus saving money (for the employer). It has been reported that millions of dollars are lost every year due to forklift accidents that could have been avoided if operators have the appropriate license.
- Trained operators are productive doing their assigned tasks, they are proven to accomplish day’s work efficiently thus denoting reduced operating expenses and more increased profits for the business.
What’s your future as a licensed forklift operator
In Missouri, a trained operator can make money at an average of $35,456 per year. The neighboring state of Illinois, the wage is higher.
Here are the cities of this state that provides high wages for forklift drivers according to Salary.Com's report (February 26, 2020):
|$36,334 - Allenton||$36,233 - Greenwood|
|$36,237 - Anabel||$36,572 - Hazelwood|
|$36,198 - Archie||$36,413 - Imperial|
|$36,493 - Arnold||$36,189 - Jamesport|
|$36,433 - Ballwin||$36,385 - Lees Summit|
|$35,776 - Billings||$36,464 - Liberty|
|$36,385 - Blue Spings||$36,191 - Lone Jack|
|$36,532 - Bridgeton||$36,195 - Mayview|
|$36,244 - Buckner||$36,334 - Mokane|
|$36,200 - Camden Point||$36,191 - Napoleon|
|$35,617 - Carthage||$36,193 - Odessa|
|$36,176 - Clarksdale||$36,413 - Portage Des Sioux|
|$36,207 - Cowgill||$36,524 - Riverside|
|$35,998 - Deepwater||$36,433 - Saint Charles|
|$36,192 - Drexel||$36,176 - Saint Joseph|
|$36,493 - Earth City||$36,244 - Sibley|
|$36,187 - Edgerton||$36,185 - Stewartsville|
|$36,186 - Faucett||$36,192 - Strasburg|
|$36,572 - Florissant||$36,237 - Sturgeon|
|$36,354 - Glencoe||$36,189 - Utica|
|$36,377 - Grandview||$36,499 - Waldron|
An operator who exhibited professionalism and competency can expect endorsement for promotion and salary increase.
Present proofs of past employment to the employer during the hiring process, so you can ask for more wage increase.
If You wanted to know how much is your salary, you check this out:
Should you have questions, clarifications, and complaints about workers’ safety and health and wage related benefits, you may contact these offices:
St. Louis Area Office
Robert A. Young Federal Building
1222 Spruce Street, Room 9.104
St. Louis, Missouri 63103
Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
421 East Dunklin
P.O. Box 59
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0059
Cities of MO
Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, Columbia, Independence, Lee's Summit, O'Fallon, St. Joseph, St. Charles, St. Peters, Blue Springs, Florissant, Joplin, Chesterfield, Jefferson City, Cape Girardeau, Oakville, Wildwood, Wentzville, University City, Ballwin, Liberty, Mehlville, Raytown, Kirkwood, Maryland Heights, Gladstone, Hazelwood, Grandview, Webster Groves, Belton, Sedalia, Affton, Arnold, Ferguson, Nixa, Raymore, Rolla, Warrensburg, Old Jamestown, Spanish Lake, Ozark, Creve Coeur, Manchester, Farmington, Hannibal, Kirksville, Poplar Bluff, Fort Leonard Wood, Concord, Sikeston, Lemay, Republic, Overland, Clayton, Lake St. Louis, Jackson, Jennings, Lebanon, Carthage, Washington, Moberly, Grain Valley, Marshall, St. Ann, Fulton, Dardenne Prairie, West Plains, Neosho, Festus, Crestwood, Maryville, Bridgeton, Mexico, Troy, Excelsior Springs, Branson, Webb City, Town and Country, Union, Bellefontaine Neighbors, Bolivar, Kennett, Eureka, Harrisonville, Cameron, Chillicothe, Kearney, Ellisville, Smithville, Berkeley, Monett, Clinton, Park Hills, Ladue, Des Peres, Sunset Hills, Richmond Heights, Murphy, Boonville, Perryville, Pleasant Hill, Nevada, Warrenton, Brentwood, Dexter, Maplewood, Oak Grove, Olivette, Carl Junction, Aurora, Sappington, Pacific, Marshfield, Sullivan, Bonne Terre, Valley Park, Black Jack, De Soto, St. John, Parkville, Shrewsbury, Battlefield, Caruthersville, Glendale, Trenton, Charleston, St. Robert, Barnhart, Pevely, Richmond, Weldon Spring, Greenwood, Willard, Macon, Bowling Green, Waynesville, Odessa, Savannah, Dellwood, Salem, Normandy, Desloge, Glasgow Village, Peculiar, Crystal City, Platte City, Cottleville, Breckenridge Hills, St. Clair, Mountain Grove, Higginsville, Rock Hill, Eldon, Imperial, Lexington, Mount Vernon, Scott City, Hollister, Ste. Genevieve, Osage Beach, California, Lamar, Brookfield, North Kansas City, Vandalia, Centralia, Northwoods, St. James, Malden, Butler, Fredericktown, Woodson Terrace, Fenton, Whiteman AFB, Herculaneum, Camdenton, Ashland, High Ridge, Castle Point, Carrollton, Palmyra, Holts Summit, Frontenac, El Dorado Springs, Wright City, Pine Lawn, Tipton, Cuba and Rogersville, Sugar Creek, Pagedale, Cassville, Gray Summit