You should always bear in mind that being certified forklift operator makes you a good prospect for employers in Minnesota. The state follows OSHA recommended standards and course program. Standards dictate that operator must be trained specifically to the brand/type of forklift he’s using. In addition, the training must match with the kind of environment they’re in.
The forklift trainer should be OSHA approved professional. An individual cannot provide training if he’s hadn’t taken the Train-the-Trainer program.
Minnesota DOL enforces health and safety laws. Employers and operators who were to be found violating federal and OSHA rules can enforce punishments and penalties.
Here, we prepared what you need to get your training at no time.
Taking the Forklift Certification
OSHA issued its ruling that all personnel handling forklifts shall be trained to operate the machine properly to avoid an accident, danger to others and damages.
Here we’ve prepared steps on how you obtain your forklift certification:
For employed operator:
- All employers are responsible for the competency of their operators, thus, the employer must send their personnel for the training.
- The training program must include both lectures and actual demonstration of the forklift operation.
- Also, the training must include operator evaluation to make sure that he operates the machine safely and efficiently.
Refresher course must be given if operators are observed driving the machine in unsafe means. Operators engaged in accidents or property damage should undergo the refresher course.
For new operator
- He must enroll in a forklift licensing course given by schools or centers near you. We’ve made a set of schools that provide forklift training in Minnesota, see below.
- Attend the classroom instruction where you will learn the basics and fundaments of driving the machine, OSHA rules and regulations, safety and awareness, federal laws, general knowledge about the operation, and many topics suitable for the new operator like you. The hands-on demonstration follows. The trainer supervises your forklift operation and will make rating and assessment based on how intelligently and safely you drove the machine.
- Take the written examination and trainer’s evaluation.
- If you are successful, the trainer will print out your certification and license. You can attach those documents when you’re applying for a job. You have a better edge of getting accepted for the job.
- The certification has three years validity, in which after that time you need to retake the certification program and prove that you maintained your skill driving forklifts.
READ these important topics about getting forklift certification:
- How Long is the Training to Complete?
- Is Online Training Suits You?
- When Do You Need Forklift Retraining/Refresher Course?
- What Are Your Work Responsibilities and Description?
- How to Become Fully Certified to Operate the Truck?
- Where Can You Take the Forklift Training?
- Salary of Forklift Operator by State and City
- What are the Requirements For Taking the Training?
Forklift Training Schools in Minnesota
- Forklifts of Minnesota - 2201 W 94th St, Bloomington, MN 55431, Phone: 952-887-5400
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System - 1300 145th St., E., Rosemount, MN 55068-2999
- Minnesota Supply Company - 6470 Flying Cloud Dr., Eden Prairie, MN 55344, P: +1 651-201-1800
- St. Cloud Technical & Community College - 1540 Northway Drive, St. Cloud, 56303, P: +1 800-222-1009
- Minnesota Safety Council - 474 Concordia Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55103, P: +1 651-291-9150
- Minneapolis Community and Technical College - 1501 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, 55403, P: +1 612-659-6000
- US Forklift Certification - (866) 556-8732 (USFC)
- SCTCC Training Center - 1215 15th St N, Saint Cloud, MN 56303
- Saint Paul College - 235 Marshall Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55102, P: +1 651-846-1600
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities - 30 7th St. E., Suite 350, St. Paul,MN 55101-7804, P: +1 651-201-1800
- East Side Neighborhood Services - 1700 Second Street NE, Minneapolis, P: (612) 781-6011
- South Central College – Center for Business and Industry - 920 Lee Boulevard North Mankato, P: 800-722-9359
- Institute for Environmental Assessment - 610 N. Riverfront Drive Mankato, P: 507.345.8818
- IVES Training - 1.800.643.1144
- Certify Me - 888-699-4800
- Toyota Lift of Minnesota - 8601 Xylon Ct, Brooklyn Park, MN, Phone: +1 800-523-0611
- Quality Forklift Sales and Service Inc. - 587 Citation Drive, Shakopee, Minnesota Phone: (952) 895-9918
- MN Supply - 6470 Flying Cloud Drive Eden Prairie, TF: 1.800.869.10281.800.869.1028
- Minnesota Safety Training Professionals - 651 210 7717
- Willmar Forklift - 2480 E Hwy 12 Willmar, MN, P:320-235-9224
- Hennepin Technical College - 763.488.2726
- Sotera Consulting - (612)597-6463
- Minneapolis Minnesota Crane Training - (888) 501-1355
Forklift Training Requirements
- A trainee must be high school graduate or possessed GED before he can apply for the training and even for the actual employment itself.
- Age requirement is 18 years old. Minors are not allowed, you must provide an ID like driver’s license, birth certificate, health card or any proof that confirms your age.
- Must be physically fit and in good health.
- Operators dressed in proper PPEs during the training can be distinguished as a good safety advocate. You have a better probability of advancing your career when hired.
Salary of Certified Forklift Operator in Minnesota
A certified forklift operator employed in the state of Minnesota can expect to make a yearly salary of $37,310 on average. It North Dakota, the salary wage is higher than in Minnesota.
According to Salary.com's latest update, As of June 27, 2019, here are the cities and towns of Minnesota that give high wage for forklift operators:
|$38,671 - Afton||$37,777 - Isanti|
|$36,587 - Albertville||$36,825 - Janesville|
|$38,627 - Almelund||$33,528 - Jenkins|
|$38,758 - Andover||$38,627 - Jordan|
|$38,802 - Anoka||$38,780 - Lake Elmo|
|$38,627 - Arlington||$38,627 - Le Sueur|
|$38,649 - Bayport||$36,825 - Madison Lake|
|$38,627 - Belle Plaine||$35,287 - Mantorville|
|$37,989 - Bethel||$38,758 - Maple Plain|
|$36,007 - Braham||$37,141 - Mayer|
|$38,846 - Burnsville||$38,956 - Mendota|
|$37,777 - Cambridge||$38,846 - Minnetonka Beach|
|$36,825 - Cannon Falls||$38,890 - Navarre|
|$38,671 - Carver||$37,777 - New Germany|
|$38,177 - Castle Rock||$37,366 - Northfield|
|$38,431 - Cedar||$35,068 - Odin|
|$38,627 - Center City||$38,934 - Osseo|
|$38,824 - Chanhassen||$35,024 - Pemberton|
|$38,758 - Chaska||$36,077 - Pine City|
|$38,912 - Cicrle Pines||$38,758 - Prior Lake|
|$38,715 - Cottage Grove||$37,330 - Randolph|
|$38,824 - Crystal Bay||$37,126 - Rockford|
|$38,802 - Dayton||$38,737 - Rogers|
|$37,225 - Dundas||$38,459 - Saint Bonifacius|
|$38,890 - Eden Prairie||$36,825 - Saint Clair|
|$38,627 - Elk New Market||$37,097 - Saint Francis|
|$38,846 - Excelsior||$36,714 - Saint Michael|
|$38,671 - Farmington||$38,802 - Saint Paul Park|
|$34,292 Grand Rapids||$35,845 - Silver Lake|
|$36,007 - Grasston||$36,077 - Sleepy Eye|
|$38,824 - Hamel||$38,781 - Spring Park|
Those operators who experienced and employed for a long time can ask for a salary increase.
A new forklift operator without previous experience will have a better chance of landing a job if he had his certification and license upon submission of the application during the hiring process.
If you are an employer looking for ways to get your forklift drivers certified, here are the topics you can READ:
- How to Provide Cost-Effective Training to Save Money?
- It is Your Obligation to Provide Training for Your Workers
- How are Operators Being Trained to be OSHA Certified?
- Workers are Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
- Do Employers Need to Give Forklift Training for Each Type and Model?
- Why is On-Site Forklift Training Best For You?
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Occupational Safety and Health Division
443 Lafayette Road N.
St. Paul, MN 55155
Cities of MN
Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester City, Duluth City, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park, Plymouth, Woodbury, Eagan, Maple Grove City, Coon Rapids, Blaine City, Eden Prairie, Burnsville, Lakeville, St. Cloud City, Apple Valley, Minnetonka, Edina, St. Louis Park, Moorhead City, Mankato City, Maplewood City, Shakopee, Cottage Grove, Richfield, Roseville City, Inver Grove Heights, Andover City, Brooklyn Center, Savage, Oakdale, Fridley, Winona, Shoreview, Ramsey, Owatonna City, Chanhassen City, Prior Lake, Chaska, White Bear Lake City, Austin City, Elk River, Faribault, Champlin, Rosemount, Farmington City, Hastings City, Crystal, New Brighton, Lino Lakes, Golden Valley City, New Hope, South St. Paul, West St. Paul, Columbia Heights, Willmar City, Forest Lake, Northfield City, Stillwater City, Hopkins, Albert Lea City, Anoka, St. Michael, Red Wing, Hibbing, Ham Lake, Buffalo City, Otsego, Bemidji City, Sartell City, Hugo, Robbinsdale, Hutchinson City, Marshall City, North Mankato City, Sauk Rapids City, Brainerd, New Ulm, Monticello City, Fergus Falls City, Vadnais Heights, Worthington City, Mounds View, North St. Paul, Cloquet, Waconia City, Alexandria City, Rogers City, East Bethel, St. Peter, White Bear, Mendota Heights, Grand Rapids, Big Lake City, Little Canada, Fairmont City, North Branch City, Arden Hills, Hermantown, Waseca, Mound City, Detroit Lakes, Thief River Falls, Victoria, Little Falls City, East Grand Forks, Virginia, Cambridge City, Oak Grove, Lake Elmo, Mahtomedi, Baxter City, Crookston City, Orono, Big Lake Township, Waite Park, Shorewood, St. Francis City, Albertville, St. Cloud City, Baldwin, Belle Plaine City, St. Joseph City, Minnetrista, St. Cloud City and Litchfield City, International Falls