You need to be a licensed forklift operator in Kentucky to drive forklift trucks in compliance with OSHA legislation. Both operator and employer could face hefty fines and penalties for doing work without certification. OSHA inspectors are very strict about it.
As a forklift operator, it is your job to load and move a large number of materials and there are great risks operating forklifts, that is why OSHA requires that forklift driver is licensed first before doing such work. Risk can be alleviated if the operator has proper training.
If you’re not in possession of forklift license, here’s what you need to do:
Obtaining Forklift License for New Operators
Construction sites, manufacturing companies, storages, and warehouses employ forklift operators and if you’re planning to work in Kentucky, you need to be in possession of forklift license. You must go through the comprehensive training to become certified. If you do not how, here’s a readied instruction to follow.
- Assess yourself what training you require. There are several types of forklifts and the training must be specific to the type.
- There are training providers in Kentucky (the list is below) where you can take the training more conveniently.
- Enroll for the course and take the class lectures that last for 4-8 hours and behind-the-wheel operation, this includes forklift controls familiarization, steering through obstacles, loading and unloading of materials, proper handling, hazard analysis, check-up and parking. The trainer will oversee these parts of the course.
- Take the written exam and let the trainer make an evaluation of your performance.
- If you succeeded, the trainer will issue you certification document and license card. You can present these when applying for a forklift driving job.
- The license will expire after three years. A recertification course must be conducted to renew it.
The certification is aimed at improving operator productivity and increase workplace safety awareness; the training is an aid to prevent property damage and protect personnel from serious injuries or even death.
Before you continue the rest of this article, you can READ these important related topics:
- How Long Does It Take to Complete the Forklift Certification?
- Is Online Forklift Training is the One You Need?
- When Do You Need to Take Forklift Retraining/Refresher Class?
- What Are Your Work Responsibilities and Description?
- How to Become Certified to Operate the Forklift?
- Where Can You Take the Forklift Training?
- What are the Requirements You Need For Taking the Forklift Training?
If you are an employer and looking for ways to get training for your operators, here are the topics you READ:
- How to Provide Cost-Effective Training For Operators to Save Money?
- Is it Your Obligation to Provide Training for Your Workers?
- How are Operators Being Trained to be OSHA Certified?
- Workers are Injured at Work, Are You Liable?
Forklift Training Schools in Kentucky
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce - 464 Chenault Rd, Frankfort, +1 502-695-4700
- Garrison Toyota Material Handling - Bowling Green Full Service Facility: 2714 Russellville Road, Bowling Green, KY 42101
- KMH Systems - Lexington, 1454 Jingle Bell Lane, 859-388-4711
- Forklift Training Systems - 614-583-5749
- YKI Material Handling Solutions - 4092 McCollum Court, Louisville, KY 40218, Toll: 1.888.269.3198
- ProLift Industrial Equipment - 124 Westhampton Dr. Lexington KY 40511, 866-508-8137
- Alexander Safety Solutions - 71 Cavalier Blvd, Florence, KY 41042, +1 859-283-5001
- Big Sandy Community & Technical College - 1 Bert T. Combs Drive, Prestonsburg, KY 41653, +1 606-886-3863
- MHI Material Handling Inc. - (888) 865-2083
- Vision of Hope Ministries - 2501 Millers Lane # 2 Louisville, Kentucky 40216, 502.380.7033
- Allied Toyota Lift – London, Ky, (866) 538-0667
- Regulatory Training Center- 7716 McComis Drive, Catlettsburg, KY 41129, +1 606-739-9507
- Kaintuck Safety Training - 859-360-4339
- C&K Sales and Service - 4500 Bishop Lane, Louisville, 502.638.0173
- Alexander Safety Solutions - 71 Cavalier Blvd; Suite #312, Florence, (859) 283-5001
- Big Sandy Community & Technical College - 1 Bert T. Combs Drive, Prestonsburg, (606) 886-3863
- Wise Safety and Environmental - 2428 Crittenden Dr, Louisville, 502-637-4337
- The Bailey Company – 3960 Hal Rogers Parkway, London, (606) 877-1693
- NES Rentals - 11109 Decimal Drive, Louisville, (502) 267-9000
Forklift Licensing for Experienced Operator
Employers are responsible for workers’ safety and health at the workplace. To obtain zero accidents, experienced forklift drivers must be recertified under these several circumstances:
- If the operator has an expired license. The recertification can either be conducted by the trainer in employer’s training facility or the operator can be sent to other training location.
- Retraining is given to those drivers involved in accidents and near misses.
- Operators observed to drive the forklift in an unsafe manner should retake the training.
- Operators who are experienced in one type of machine and assigned to drive different type must take recertification.
Forklift Operator Salary
A certified operator in Kentucky can make an average of $33,205 per year. If you can exhibit more skills at work and if you are certified to operate several types of forklifts, you can demand better pay from your employer. If you have considerable experience, you can insist on higher salary as well.
According to the latest April 27, 2019 report of Salary.com, here the cities and towns of this state that have high wages for forklift drivers:
|$35,607 - Alexandria||$35,520 - Kenton|
|$33,515 - Alvaton||$35,636 - Latonia|
|$35,418 - Augusta||$34,317 - Lexington|
|$34,073 - Battletown||$33,535 - Loretto|
|$35,636 - Bellevue||$34,364 - Louisville|
|$34,170 - Buckner||$34,364 - Masonic Home|
|$35,592 - Burlington||$35,636 - Melbourne|
|$35,432 - Butler||$35,418 - Minerva|
|$33,794 - Cave City||$35,505 - Morning View|
|$34,073 - Clarkson||$35,636 - Newport|
|$34,076 - Cloverport||$35,520 - Petersburg|
|$35,636 - Covington||$34,364 - Prospect|
|$34,953 - De Mossville||$33,970 - Richmond|
|$35,418 - Dover||$33,071 - Siler|
|$35,636 - Erlanger||$35,636 - Silver Grove|
|$34,364 - Fairdale||$34,045 - Sparta|
|$35,622 - Florence||$34,138 - Stanley|
|$35,636 - Fort Thomas||$33,315 - Tompkinsville|
|$35,418 - Germantown||$35,578 - Union|
|$35,622 - Hebron||$35,153 - Verona|
|$34,073 - Irvington||$35,520 - Walton|
Check This Also :
The neighboring state of Indiana, operator's hourly pay is much higher.
Should you require more details about wage, benefits, implementing rules and regulations, and enforcement standards, you can check with governing authorities as follows:
Kentucky Labor Cabinet
1047 US HWY 127 South, Suite 4
Frankfort, KY 40601
Department of Workplace Standards
Anthony Russell, Commissioner
Occupational Safety & Health Administration
200 Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20210
Cities and Towns of KY
Albany, Alexandria, Anchorage, Ashland, Barbourville, Bardstown, Bardstown, Beaver Dam, Bellevue, Benton, Berea, Bowling Green, Cadiz, Calvert City, Campbellsville, Carrollton, Catlettsburg, Cave City, Central City, Coal Run Village, Cold Spring, Columbia, Corbin, Covington, Crescent Springs, Crestview Hills, Crestwood, Crittenden, Cynthiana, Danville, Dayton, Douglass Hills, Dry Ridge, Eddyville, Edgewood, Edmonton, Elizabethtown, Elkton, Elsmere, Eminence, Erlanger, Falmouth, Flatwoods, Flemingsburg, Florence, Fort Mitchell, Fort Thomas, Fort Wright, Frankfort, Franklin, Fulton, Georgetown, Glasgow, Greenville, Hardinsburg, Harrodsburg, Hartford, Hazard, Henderson, Hickman, Highland Heights, Hillview, Hodgenville, Hopkinsville, Hurstbourne, Jeffersontown, La Grange, Lancaster, Lawrenceburg, Lebanon, Leitchfield, Lexington, Louisa, Louisville, Ludlow, Lyndon, Madisonville, Marion, Mayfield, Maysville, Middlesboro, Middletown, Monticello, Morehead, Morganfield, Morgantown, Mt. Sterling, Mount Washington, Murray, Newport, Nicholasville, Oak Grove, Owensboro, Paducah, Paintsville, Paris, Park Hills, Pikeville, Pioneer Village, Prestonsburg, Princeton, Prospect, Providence, Radcliff, Richmond, Russell, Russellville, St. Matthews, St. Regis Park, Salyersville, Scottsville, Shelbyville, Shepherdsville, Shively, Simpsonville, Somerset, Southgate, Springfield, Stanford, Taylor Mill, Union, Vanceburg, Versailles, Villa Hills, Vine Grove, Walton, West Liberty, Whitesburg, Wilder, Wilmore, Windy Hills,