Obtaining forklift licence in NSW may it be LO or LR licence has become stricter and more costly since January 2013.
Operator working in corporation premises found without having a licence or an expired one may be held criminally liable if such accident will happen. Corporation allowing their operators without proper licence to work in HRW involving forklift operation is breaking the law. Both the corporation and operator could face fine of tens of thousands of dollars and could be penalized by NSW Work Cover. The Work Cover advises the employers and operators to take action to get their certification.
Some rules have changed and prior to WorkCover legislation in January 2013, all forklift operators must have a Work Cover Photo ID Licence.
What Forklift Licence You Need
There are two types of licence you can apply for, namely:
- LF Licence – If you an operator driving a forklift with a pair of fork arms and outfitted with elevating load carriage.
- LO Licence – If you an operator driving an order-picking truck with platform as part of the elevating load carriage.
How to Apply for Forklift Licence
1. Accomplish all NSW Work Cover Requirements
- 18 years old or older
- Can communicate in English both in writing and speaking
- Submit 100-Point Evidence of Identity Form (if applying for HRW licence), presenting of the original documents is obligatory. The Evidence of Identify include documents such as birth card, passport, citizenship papers, driver’s licence, Medicare Card, Insurance Papers/Agreement, Defence Card, fire arms papers, motor vehicle registration, ATM cards and other proofs.
2. Find a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in NSW and choose the forklift training course they provide applicable to you.
Here are some of the registered RTOs. You may contact them and enquire about your training need.
Australia Forklift Training
PO Box 7083, Baulkham Hills BC NSW 2153
1300 799 112
Ace Forklift Assessing Pty. Ltd.
NIT 1/66 Bryant Street, Padstow, NSW
02 8999 4383
All Class Training
10 Kilcoy Drive, Tomago, 2322 NSW
Tel:(02) 4950 8602, Mobile: 0405 758 535
phone: 13 15 52
6 - 8 Railway Street,Lidcombe, NSW
02 9649 5000
A1 Learning Pty Ltrd.
27/ 121A Anzac Ave, Engadine NSW 2233
0422 032 337
123 Training Solutions
11 Bourke Street, Carrington, Newcastle, NSW
0431 446 472
Transqual Logistics Training
4/24 Portside Crescent Wickham NSW 2293
(02) 4962 2707
(02) 4962 2646
A & L Heavy Vehicle Driver Training
2/49 Lancaster St, Ingleburn NSW 2565, Australia
+61 2 9829 1377
Training Course Professionals
Level 7, Dymocks Building, 428 George Street, Sydney NSW
F:02 9223 7261
Absolute Forklift Training
2/36 Abbott Rd, Seven Hills NSW 2147, Australia
+61 2 8678 3444
Coffs Harbour Wordplace Assessment
4 Willis Rd, Woolgoolga NSW 2456, Australia
+61 2 6654 0877
Infront Staffing and Training
1 Cowper St, Granville NSW 2142, Australia
+61 2 8252 7565
M & N Forklift Training
PO Box 179, Gosford NSW 2250
Pacific Driver Training Pty Ltd
Unit 9/ 9 Marstan Cl, Gosford West NSW 2250
Royce Forklift Driver Training
14/1 Burroway Rd, Wentworth Point NSW 2127, Australia
+61 2 9648 7233
49 Leewood Drive, Orange NSW 2795
(02) 6362 2502
0427 332 308
44 Quarrybylong Street, Cessnock NSW 2325, Australia
+61 2 4990 2588
Illawarra Dangerous Goods Training Centre
103-105 Junction Street (shp 5a Morisons Arc), 10 Central Ave., Nowra, NSW
02 4423 1790 / 0244231790
Forktime Construction Industry Training
5/21 Groves Ave, Mulgrave NSW 2756, Australia
+61 2 4577 9577
Len’s Driving School
5 Nectarbrook Drive. Orangeville
0410 448 538
W H & S More Skills
(07) 3183 0000
If you are an experienced applicant, when enquiring, you need to tell your level of competency so that RTO can modify a training course appropriate to you.
If you are an employer, and you cannot afford to lose operator during the training days, the RTO representatives and assessors can come to you to conduct on-site training.
3. The RTO will conduct the formal/theoretical lectures and practical forklift operation training as parts of the course and you will receive a Certificate of Attainment in TLILIC2001A Licence from your RTO if you completed the course.
4. The final written and practical examinations will be given to applicant for assessment of competency.
5. If applicant is successful passing the examinations, applicant will receive WorkCover NSW Notice of Satisfactory Assessment with 60-day validity. You need to apply for licence card and pay $67 to Australia Post. You application will be processed and the license card will be sent to your resident address.
6. Take hold of your licence, it is nationally recognized. Licence is valid for 5 years
Forklift Licence Price in NSW
Depending on your required course, it ranges from A$100 to A$700. There’s a separate minimal fee an applicant must pay in Australia Post for the licence card.
If you have HRW forklift licence make sure to renew it two (2) months before its expiration. You need to get an application form from Workcover NSW.
Fill-up the the form, submit it to Australia Post nearest to you. Take note that personal appearance is required upon submission. Present proof of identification. Pay application fee.
If your licence is old format (no photo and expiry date):
Your licence is void if non-renewal has been done unless you’ve done converting/renewing your licence. This is prior to WorkCover NSW legislation in Jaunary 2013 affecting those operators with old HRW licences issued several years back. If you didn’t renew it, you need to redo formal and practical training of RTO and accredited assessors.
Regulations may change from time to time. Workcover may impose new rules. Operators who wish for an application or renewal can visit their website address to get up-to-date information about how to obtain a forklift licence in NSW.