The operation of forklift in NT and in any other states and territories of Australia is considered high risk work and requires the operator to be licenced according to the machine he’s operating (LF class for forklift truck and LO class for order-picker truck). .
WorkSafe NT ensures that the operator has the necessary skills, competency and training to perform high risk work to avoid accidents at workplace.
If you are aiming to apply, here’s what you need to know:
WorkSafe Forklift Licence Requirements
- The student must be at least 18 years old
- No physical impairment
- In very good health
- Student with completed training and assessment conducted by certified RTO in NT. Must take hold of the notice of assessment and certificate of attainment.
- Resident of Northern Territoty
- Must have USI
- Applicant, who is not resident of NT, must submit a letter from their employer affirming to the fact the he is employed at a worksite located in NT.
Taking the Forklift Training in Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
The objective of taking the training is to be competent operating the forklift. The student will need to go through the formal (classroom lectures) and practical (actual operation) trainings and pass the theoretical written examination and actual forklift operation assessment to be conducted by RTO assessor.
Enquire with RTO what prerequisites they need before applicant get accepted for the training. But commonly, the applicant must be 18 years old and above, know to speak and write in English, basic Math skill and RTO is obliging the applicant to wear PPE during the course.
Here are the RTOs in Northern Territory
- Site Skills Training - 142 Coonawarra Rd, Phone: +61 8 8947 5050
- Assessing and Training of Aust ATA Pty. Ltd. - 10 Downes St, Winnellie NT 0820, Australia, Phone: +61 8 8947 3655
- Northern Australia Training and Assessment - 162 McKinnon Rd, Pinelands, Phone: +61 8 8941 2628
- Site Work Ready - 142 Coonawarra Road, Winnellie 0821, Phone: +61 8 7999 7401, Fax +61 8 8918 8050
- Fire and Safety Australia - 19 Georgina Cres, Yarrawonga, Phone: +61 1300 621 526
- Top End Training - 30 Georgina Cres, Yarrawonga NT 0830, Phone: +61 8 8932 6000
- AUTOSMART NT - 3/7 Butler Place, Holtze, T:08-89-31-46-63, F:08-89-31-00-76, enquire if there is forklift training available
- Industries Services Training Pty Ltd Trading (IS Australia Job Central) - 7 Casey Street, Hudson Creek, Northern Territory 0828, Phone: (08) 8942 9300
- Central Desert Training Pty. Ltd. - 13 Spencer St, Alice Springs, Phone: +61 8 8953 7247
- United Forklift and Access Solutions - 4 Brooker St, Winnellie, Phone: +61 8 8947 1600
After completing the training and successfully passed the assessment, the RTO will issue certificate of attainment and notice of assessment.
Lodging Your Application to Territory Business Centre
The applicant required to submit application papers within sixty days after taking the assessment. Here are the documents that must be submitted:
- Certificate of attainment
- Notice of assessment
- Application form for High Risk Work Licence
- Passport size recent photo of the applicant
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- AU$76 application fee
The applicant should appear personally at Territory Business Centre to present these documents.
The licence is valid for five years.
How about tthose forklift Licences issued by regulatory body of other state or territory? Holder of licence issued in other state or territory is allowed to perform work in Northern Territory as long as it is still valid and current.
Holder of expiring licence, who is currently employed by an NT employer, must renew in WorkSafe NT.
Salary of Forklift Operator
The median wage per year of forklift operator in Northern Territory is $59,571.
Forklift operator can upgrade his skills by attaining more advance courses. You coud be line supervisor, a team leader, a distribution or logistics supervisor or a safety trainer.
It is very vital to understand that performing your job overtime and gaining enough experience will be your stepping stone to attain higher position, just like the ones I mentioned above. The other contributory factor of advancing your career will be continuous gaining of certifications in this field.
Cities of NT
Alice Springs, Palmerston, Katherine, McMinns Lagoon, Nhulunbuy, Howard Springs, Tenna Creek, Yulara, Jabiru, Maningrida, Galiwinku, Nguiu, Port Keats (Wadeye), Milingimbi, Alyangula, Ngukurr, Oenpelli, Borroloola, Angurugu, Batchelor, Numbulwar, Lajamanu, Kiore, Gapuwiyak, Yirrkala, Daly River, Kalkarindji (Wave Hill), Daguragu, Ramingining, Saa Teresa, Mataranka, Pine Creek, Hermannsburg, Milikapiti (Snake Bay), Gagudju Cooinda Lodge, Elliott, Palumpa, Umbakumba, Pirlangimpi (Garden Poi), Beswick, Alpurrurulam, Willowra(Wirliyatjarrayi), Barunga (Bamyili), Warruwi, Timber Creek, Kaltukatjara (Docker River), Papunya, Gunyangara, Mandorah,