The state of West Virginia does not have specific regulation or law pertaining to forklift safety, for that reason, all employers and companies in this state must comply with OSHA standards.
Individuals who are hunting for employment as forklift driver must have a forklift certification before he can be permitted to operate one. You must complete a training program specific to the type of forklift you are intending to use.
Here, in this article, we are providing you the task you need to complete to get your certification. We are also giving you the list of training school where you can take your training.
You can also read many of the important factors you need to know when applying for forklift certification, see the topics on the left.
Applying for Forklift Certification
- Decide what kind of fork truck you want to operate because the training course must be specific to that type of equipment.
- Enroll for forklift training at a school near you. We have provided a list of schools with addresses, see them below.
- Attend the classroom lectures and discussions. It will take around 5 hours to complete this part. You must absorb as much knowledge as possible. You will use that on the written test of the training.
- After you have completed the classroom lecture, you will need to undergo the actual forklift driving. The trainer will be demonstrating how to drive the truck, its basic controls, maneuvering, loading, unloading, parking that you need to simulate when you are asked to perform all of the instructions. You must perform well and exhibit your skills driving the truck.
- A written test will be administered after. This will determine your knowledge that you have gained from the classroom lectures and practice driving. Pass the test and you are assured of receiving your forklift certification.
- Evaluation follows. At this part, the trainer will be assessing all the trainees through the written test and assessment during the practice driving.
- When you have passed the training, you will be given a license card or operator card that you can present to your company or prospective employer.
All individuals who are presently employed, your company is the one responsible to provide you the forklift training you need. As per OSHA legislation in 1999, the employer must establish a training program for forklift operators to assure their competency driving the forklifts.
Forklift certification is only valid for three years.
Some of the topics relevant that can help you get your forklift certification are below, READ these:
- How to Become OSHA Certified to Drive Forklift?
- Where Can You Go to Get Trained Driving Lift Trucks?
- Helpful Pieces of Advice to Help You Choose the Best Forklift Training School
- What You Need Before Taking a Training Course?
- How Much Does It Cost to Get Trained to Drive Forklift?
- How Long Does the Training Last?
- How to Renew Forklift License?
- Is Online Certification Right For You?
- When to Take Retraining or Refresher Course?
- Avoid Fines and Penalties. Here are Some Tips
- Your Job Descriptions as Forklift Operator
For EMPLOYER who is seeking training and certification for their workers, READ these topics:
- Will You Train the Forklift Operators to Become OSHA Compliant?
- Designate a Supervisor to Provide Training to Save Money
- Why Do You Need to Provide Forklift Training to Your Personnel?
- What Should The Forklift Training Course Compose of to Meet OSHA Standard?
Forklift Training Schools in West Virginia
The best effective mean of training delivery is attending the course in person. I discourage you not to take the forklift certification online. You cannot be wholly certified when you finish from an online provider. OSHA states the certification must have three parts: classroom lecture, practice driving, and evaluation. With online certification, you cannot complete all three.
Here are the companies in WV that provide forklift training:
Haz-Tech Environmental, LLC
401 Grass Lick Road, Ripley, WV 25271
Eco-First Environmental & Safety Services
3 Harvest View Drive, Lesage, West Virginia 25537
IVES Training Group
Serves many states including WV
Western Virginia Construction Craft Laborers
PO Box 6, Minerals Wells, WV
Werres Material Handling Systems for Industry
Serves WV, and other states
SRP North American Environmental
Jane Lew, West Virginia
Stonewood Industrial Park, 8360 Water Street
WV Wood Technology Center
10 Eleventh St., Elkins WV
Fallsway Equipment Company
Serves Weirton, West Virginia
Environmental Options, Inc.
The Total Hazardous Waste Service Company
Serves Princeton, Bluefield, Pearisburg, Charleston in West Virginia
ProLift Industrial Equipment
P: (304) 338-2367
F: (304) 338-2492
West Virginia Northern Community College
1704 Market Street, Wheeling, WV
Total Equipment Training
All State Career
(610) 521-1818 ext 1235
Hertz Equipment Rental
Serves WV and many other states
126 Lakeview Dr., Charleston,
You can choose the right training school, here are helpful tips you can learn when enrolling, Click Here.
Salary of Forklift Operators in WV
According to Salary.com's December 01, 2018 survey report, the wage of a certified forklift operator who is working in Charleston can receive $32,891 per year on average. Those who are working in Morgantown, the salary is $35,263. In other cities, refer to this:
|$34,198 - Albright||$34,198 - Kingwood|
|$33,002 - Arbovale||$36,506 - Martinsburg|
|$35,263 - Arthurdale||$35,263 - Masontown|
|$36,506 - Bakerton||$35,336 - Mathias|
|$35,263 - Barrackville||$36,506 - Millville|
|$35,263 - Beech Bottom||$34,781 - New Cumberland|
|$33,266 - Bowden||$34,554 - Newell|
|$34,198 - Bruceton Mills||$33,133 - Old Fields|
|$36,506 - Bunker Hill||$35,263 - Pentress|
|$36,558 - Capon Springs||$35,263 - Pursglove|
|$34,606 - Chester||$34,198 - Red Creek|
|$34,198 - Davis||$36,506 - Ridgeway|
|$36,558 - Delray||$36,558 - Rio|
|$34,198 - Eglon||$33,133 - Springfield|
|$37,491 - Falling Waters||$36,506 - Summit Point|
|$36,506 - Gerrardstown||$34,198 - Thomas|
|$35,263 - Glen Dale||$33,110 - Waiteville|
|$36,506 - Halltown||$35,263 - Wellsburg|
|$35,478 - Hadgesville||$33,519 - Worthington|
|$36,558 - High View|
If you want to work in the neighboring state of Ohio, you can learn from here.
Please be reminded that the above figures are basic salary. The bonuses and other privileges are not included.
You can insist for a higher salary from your employer if you have sufficient years of experience, skills of driving many types of forklift trucks and training expertise.
If you want skill upgrade you can take a train-the-trainer course. You can be designated as your company’s internal instructor.
For more information regarding active and present laws pertaining to forklift safety, operator’s salary, and federal legislation, please contact corresponding governing body:
West Virginia Division of Labor
570 MacCorkle Avenue, West
St. Albans, West Virginia 25177
OSHA West Virginia
405 Capitol Street, Suite 407
Charleston, West Virginia 25301-1727
West Virginia Department of Commerce
Capitol Complex, Bldg. 6, Room 525
800-982-3386 or (304) 558-2234
Cities of WV
Charleston, Huntington, Parkersburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Weirton, Fairmont, Beckley, Martinsburg, Clarksburg, South Charleston, St. Albans, Vienna, Bluefield, Moundsville, Bridgeport, Dunbar, Oak Hill, Nitro, Elkins, Princeton, Hurricane, Buckhannon, Keyser, New Martinsville, Charles Town, Grafton, Ranson, Point Pleasant, Weston, Westover, Barboursville, Ravenswood, Lewisburg, Summersville, Ripley, Kenova, Williamson, Pleasant Valley, Madison, Follansbee, Philippi, Kingwood, Williamstown, Fayetteville, Wellsburg, Hinton, Paden City, Chester, Moorefield, Bethlehem, Petersburg, White Sulphur Springs, Milton, Welch, Spencer, Winfield, Shinnston, Mannington, Richwood, McMechen, Belington, Harrisville, St. Marys, Romney, Star City, Stonewood, Logan, Ronceverte, Shepherdstown, Montgomery, Nutter Fort, Salem, New Haven, Mullens, Chesapeake, West Liberty, Glenville, Glen Dale, Eleanor, Rainelle, Marmet, Parsons, Terra Alta, Ceredo, Benwood, Mount Hope, Wayne, Mabscott, Ansted, Sistersville, Oceana, Sophia, Barrackville, Belle, Chapmanville, Buffalo, Clendenin, Alderson, Pennsboro, Hamlin, New Cumberland