Forklift operator training is an essential part of doing business especially when your business primarily relies on material handling. Vermont does not have a federal law about forklift certification, therefore, OSHA legislation should be followed.
Individuals and employers alike must adhere to OSHA standards. Employers must provide adequate training to all of its operators. The law requires that forklift training must be given at least every three years. It would be appropriate if the forklift certification must be done in the actual environment either by the internal instructor or from an external source.
If you are an individual or employer opted to take the training from an outside source, here are the training schools where you can inquire about.
Forklift Training Schools in Vermont
You can enroll at this training provider. Make sure that you comply with their requirements before signing up for a forklift training schedule.
- WD Matthews Machinery Company - Classes is available in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, (866) 297-2605
- Material Handling Products Corp. - ServesVermont Areas, Phone: (866) 980-4788
- Northern Toyotalift - 683 Pine Street, Burlington, VT 05401, 800-244-0135, 802-658-0133, ww.northerntoyotalift.com
- OSHA Courses - 13 Baldwin St., Montpelier VT, 802-828-2775
- NITCO Material Handling Solutions - Serves Vermont and other neighboring states, (866) 520-5701, sww.nitco-lift.com
- Northern Toyotalift - 683 Pine Street, Burlington, VT 05401, 800-244-0135, 802-658-0133
- United Rentals - 289 Leroy Road, Williston, VT 05495-9007, 802-660-1995
Read this article about how to choose the best forklift training school. Click Here.
BROWSE these topics to help you:
- Can You use Your Forklift License/Certificate to Work with Other Company?
- Can You Use Your Forklift Certificate to Get Employed in Other State?
- Is Your Employer Liable If You're Involved in an Accident?
- Can You Get a Forklift Job If You Have History of DUI?
What Can You Expect from the Forklift Certification
When you enroll for a forklift class, you must choose of what type of forklift truck you want to operate, this is because the course curriculum that the school will provide you must be specific to that type of machine.
As per OSHA instruction, the training must compose of three parts: Formal instruction, driving/practice test, and evaluation. The classroom lecture usually lasts for 4-6 hours, where you can learn about safety protocols, basic operations, machine controls, and other important aspects of forklift driving. At the end, the trainer will give the trainees a written exam. Click here to read how to pass the test.
Then, the practice test follows. During this test, the trainer will perform sets of tasks that you need to simulate when it’s your turn to perform it.
An evaluation must be conducted to measure the knowledge gained by the trainee. If you satisfactorily assessed, you will receive your forklift certificate of completion and operator card. Show these to your employer or prospective employer for job promotion or offer.
What About Forklift Re-Training?
If would be necessary for forklift operators to take retraining in these circumstances:
- If the operator has been involved in an accident. The purpose of the training, in this case, is to make the operator realizes his mistake to correct it.
- When the driver has been observed operating the truck in a very unsafe manner that jeopardizes the safety of himself and others.
- When the operator has been involved in property damage incident.
- When the operator hasn’t received training for the past three years. The employer must give forklift training at least once every three years to update the proficiency of the operators.
- Most importantly, an operator who is tasked to drive another type of truck he is not familiar with must take the refresher course. The course must be specific to that type of truck.
Forklift Job Requirements
• All trainees must be at the age of 18 years old or older.
• Must have GED certificate or high school graduate.
• Good record. A background check may be administered by the employer prior to hiring.
• No substance abuse. You could take the medical exam before a company hires you.
• Driving forklift demands operator to be in very good physical condition.
• Some company requires operators to have very good vision.
• A forklift license will be the topmost priority when applying for a job. This is the first requirement the company will ask you.
I invite you to READ these helpful guides on different topics:
- How To Become Certified Forklift Driver?
- Where Can You Get Trained to Become Certified?Passing the Hands-on Driving Test
- Passing the Written Test
- How Much Will It Cost to Get Certified?
- How Long is the Forklift Training Course?
- When to Take Forklift Refresher Course?
Forklift Operator Salary in Different Cities
If you will be working in this state, you can expect an average salary of $37,547 per year and depending on your skills, you can make as much as $33,327 - $42,717. These numbers are based on the latest March 29, 2022 report of Salary.Com.
Since the work location plays a significant role on how much you can make, here are the cities and towns that offer competitive pay for forklift operators:
|$39,965 - Ascutney||$39,003 - Newbury|
|$39,003 - Barnard||$39,524 - Newfane|
|$$39,700 - Belmont||$39,399 - North Bennington|
|$39,003 - Bridgewater Corners||$39,435 - Pawlet|
|$39,965 - Brownsville||$39,000 - Plymouth|
|$39,848 - Cambridgeport||$39,355 - Poultney|
|$38,393 - Colchester||$39,465 - Readsboro|
|$39,392 - East Arlington||$39,848 - Saxtons River|
|$39,486 - East Dover||$39,502 - South Newfane|
|$38,918 - Fair Haven||$39,965 - Thetford|
|$39,003 - Gilman||$39,744 - Vernon|
|$39,965 - Hartford||$39,479 - Wardsboro|
|$39,435 - Jamaica||$39,355 - Wells|
|$39,700 - Ludlow||$39,524 - West Dummerston|
|$39,418 - Manchester||$39,623 - West Halifax|
|$39,500 - Marlboro||$40,303 - Westminster Station|
|$39,435 - Middletown Springs||$39,463 - Wilmington|
if you will work in the neighboring state of New Hampshire, the salary is a little higher.
If you want to get promoted, you can take the forklift-train-the-trainer program. This will enhance your knowledge. You can be promoted to become your company’s internal instructor.
For more guidance and information about wages and present legislation, you can contact these concerning offices:
Vermont Occupational Safety and Health Administration (VOSHA)
5 Green Mountain Drive, P.O. Box 488
Vermont Department of Labor
Cities of VT
Burlington, Essex, South Burlington, Colchester, Rutland City, Bennington, Brattleboro, Milton, Essex Junction, Hartford, Williston, Springfield, Barre City, Middlebury, Barre Town, Shelburne, Montpelier, St. Johnsbury, Winooski, St. Albans City, Swanton Town, St. Albans Town, Northfield Town, Lyndon, Morristown, Rockingham, Waterbury Town, Jericho, Randolph, Georgia, Castleton, Fairfax, Hinesburg, Derby, Stowe, Newport City, Manchester Town, Richmond, Rutland Town, Bristol, Charlotte, Brandon, Cambridge Town, Highgate, Johnson Town, Shaftsbury, Windsor, Pownal, Williamstown, Norwich, Hartland, Poultney Town, Chester, Westminster Town, Hyde Park Town, Underhill, Bellows Falls, Woodstock Town, Hardwick, Pittsford, Berlin, Weathersfield, Bradford, Ferrisburgh, Royalton, Enosburgh, Barton Town, Putney, Fair Haven, Vergennes