In Oregon, forklift certification must be conducted before an employer allowed their forklift drivers to use forklift machinery. For new operators before getting hired must be certified first. Now if you are serious about pursuing employment in this field and you want to add forklift certification as one of the credentials in your resume, then this tutorial is right for you.
We’ve listed down the steps you need to follow in order to apply for forklift certification in Oregon. You can read on:
Steps to Take When Applying for Forklift Certification
- Identify your training needs – there are many kinds of forklift trucks: the stand-up, sit down, electric pallet, electric riding pallet, combustion engine, all-terrain, and many others. You must determine what type of truck you are planning to use because training course should be specific to the type of forklift.
- If you’ve decided on what training you need, you can now enroll in the course. The list of schools where you can enroll in Oregon is mentioned below for your reference.
- OSHA states that training course should include formal and practical training and an evaluation. Attend the formal classroom lecture which is a 4-5 hour session. At the lecture, the trainer will teach about forklift control basics, operational fundamentals, pre-operation check, load limit calculation, the center of gravity and stability, fueling practice, battery recharging, OSHA rules, workplace inspection, accident prevention, analyzing hazards, and other subjects that may be deemed necessary.
- Practical hands-on training is next. The type of forklift an operator will be using during this part will depend on what he applied for the course. The trainer will directly supervise the training. At this stage, trainees will be given assignments like operational checks, maneuvering on obstacles, loading/unloading, stacking of materials at height, pallet arrangement, post-operation check, proper parking, and many others. During this evaluation, trainees are assessed to ensure that they’ve gained competency level to safety and properly driving forklifts.
- The final stage is written examination and skill assessment. The trainees must get ratings of at least of 75%. The passing grade may vary depending on the standards set forth by the school or trainer.
- Successful trainees will be issued with certification and license card. The forklift certification is valid for three years.
- When do you need recertification? We’ve listed done circumstances when you need to take recertification, please refer below.
Forklift Training Schools in Oregon
These schools are great places to get your certification. They’re equipped with facilities and approved trainer plus they set their own standard geared toward compliance with OSHA ruling.
- Forklift Services of Oregon - 7001 N.E. Columbia Blvd., Portland, OR 97218, 800.820.5446, visit website: www.fsoforegon.com, Contact: Tim Snow: 503.922.4026
- Norlift of Oregon, Inc. - (503) 209-1021
- Columbia Industrial Training and Education, LLC. - (503)610-3125
- Safety First Oregon - 503-618-1980
- Toyota Lift Northwest - (866) 419-6414
- All American First Aid - 16055 SW Walker Rd#196, Portland, OR, (503)-277-0563
- Central Oregon Community College - 2600 N.W. College Way, Bend, Oregon 97703, (541)-383-7700
- Linn-Benton Community College - 6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, Oregon 97321, (541) 917 4999
- Umpqua Community College - 1140 Umpqua College Rd., Roseburg, OR 97470, 541-440-4600
- SE Works - 7916 SE Foster Road, Portland, Oregon 97206, (971) 322-4546
- Associated General Contractors, Oregon-Columbia Chapter - 9450 S.W. Commerce Circle, Suite 200, Wilsonville, (503) 682-3363 & (800) 826-6610
- Affordable Safety Training LLC - 2632 SE 25th Ave., Suite G, Portland, 888-213-0432
- The Northwest College of Construction - (503) 256-7300
- Constructing Hope - 405 NE Church St. Portland, P: (503) 281-1234
- CertifyMe – Serves all states
- IVES Training Group – Serves Oregon and many other states
If you are an employer who is looking for certification for your forklift operators, you have the choice to contact these schools to request for on-site training. Training schools can send their accredited trainer to your location.
For individuals who are seeking forklift certification, these schools can offer you professional training at a cost ranging from $100 to $500.
Forklift Certification Requirements
- The trainee must be at the legal age of 18. Present ID to confirm age.
- Completed high school or in possession of GED certificate
- Must bring a valid state driver's license or state card
- Must be proper training attire (wearing of steel-toe shoes, hard hats, vest, pants, and other PPE is recommended)
- Must physically fit since the nature of the job requires it.
Who must take forklift re-certification training
- An operator’s evaluation must be done every three years to validate the ability to safely drive a forklift truck, this is being conducted in the refresher course. The employer shall be responsible for the provision of the refresher course either on-site or any location that resembles warehouse working condition.
- Refresher course is also given to those operators who committed unsafe acts driving forklifts. When operators were involved in accidents like near misses or property damage incident, they should undergo refresher course as well.
- Refresher course is also being administered for those operators who are assigned to operate different forklift trucks they’re unfamiliar with its use. The course is also given when there’s a change in workplace condition, weather patterns and designed to work in confined space area location.
Salary of Licensed Forklift Driver in Oregon
The salary of a certified forklift driver in the state of Oregon is $36,432 on average per year. If an operator is certified to handle many types of forklift trucks, he can request for a higher hourly wage. The closest state of Idaho has a slightly lower hourly wage.
In the latest June 27, 2019 report of Salary.com, these cities offer the competitive salary for forklift operators:
|$36,286 - Adams||$38,232 - Gladstone|
|$36,524 - Antelope||$37,310 - Hammond|
|$37,866 - Arch Cape||$38,232 - Happy Valley|
|$37,866 - Astoria||$38,110 - Hillsboro|
|$36,994 - Aurora||$37,866 - Maupin|
|$36,877 - Bay City||$37,052 - Mulino|
|$38,232 - Beaverton||$37,988 - Newberg|
|$38,085 - Boring||$36,877 - Oceanside|
|$37,866 - Buxton||$38,232 - Portland|
|$37,866 - Clatskanie||$36,253 - Rickreall|
|$37,939 - Corbett||$36,877 - Rockaway Beach|
|$38,159 - Damascus||$36,877 - Tillamook|
|$36,950 - Donald||$38,183 - Tualatin|
|$37,683 - Eagle Creek||$36,253 - Turner|
|$37,546 - Forest Grove||$37,915 - Warren|
|$37,772 - Gales Creek||$36,844 - Warm Springs|
An experienced forklift driver can be promoted to become an in-house trainer if he can prove his worth to the company and expertise in his work.
If you have questions related to forklift certification, occupational safety and health standards, workers’ wages and benefits, or you have complaints, you may contact concerning agency:
Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division
P.O. Box 14480
350 Winter St. NE, Rm. 430
Salem, OR 97309-0405
Oregon Employment Department
119 N Oakdale Ave, Medford, OR 97501, United States
Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries
800 NE Oregon St., Suite 1045
Cities of OR
Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Bend, Medford, Springfield, Corvallis, Albany, Tigard, Lake Oswego, Keizer, Grants Pass, McMinnville, Oregon, Redmond, Tualatin, West Linn, Woodburn, Newberg, Roseburg, Forest Grove, Klamath Falls, Milwaukie, Ashland, Wilsonville, Sherwood, Central Point, Hermiston, Pendleton, Coos Bay, Troutdale, Canby, Lebanon, Dallas, Happy Valley, The Dalles, La Grande, St. Helens, Cornelius,Gladstone, Ontario, Damascus, Newport, Baker, North Bend, Cottage Grove, Sandy, Monmouth, Astoria, Prineville, Silverton, Sweet Home, Fairview , Independence, Eagle Point, Florence, Molalla, Lincoln, Sutherlin, Stayton, Hood River, Milton-Freewater, Umatilla, Scappoose, Seaside, Brookings, Sheridan, Talent, Madras, Junction, Winston, Creswell, Warrenton, Tillamook, Philomath, Veneta, Phoenix, Reedsport, Wood Village, Coquille, Lafayette, Aumsville, Harrisburg, Toledo, Myrtle Creek, Mount Angel, Nyssa, Boardman, Oakridge, Hubbard, Dundee, King, Jefferson, Bandon, Shady Cove, Burns, Jacksonville, Estacada, Sublimity, Dayton, Myrtle Point, Gervais, Lakeview town, Gold Beach, Vernonia, Rogue River, Union, Stanfield, Sisters, Waldport, Willamina, Carlton